Most of us marketers and/or business owners are always looking out for the next big thing. The latest tool, methods, or metrics that can help us to get a competitive advantage and generate more opportunities for our pipelines.
Well here it is folks, the golden goose, the silver bullet, and the pot of gold all in one!
Yes, I am serious. I do mean your website. Often the most undervalued tool in your marketing mix. The core platform that you need to launch an all-out assault on your prospects is right there in front of you, you’re just not using it properly!!!
Here’s a quick test to see whether you need to read on.
If you can answer yes to all of the following then I am preaching to the converted, otherwise get ready to change the way you think about your website as a marketing tool forever!
- You have Google analytics (or an alternative) installed on your site and regularly log in to see what’s going on.
- You have conversion tracking of some sort set up.
- You have defined goals or KPI’s for your site which inform decisions going forwards.
- You have carried out split testing of some sort.
So you had a few no’s (or maybe 4 no’s!) don’t worry, you’re in the majority! As part of that majority you probably don’t have a core platform working for you in the way that it could!
In short, your website is the most measurable and flexible marketing tool that your business has at its disposal, here’s why:
- It’s your 24/7 shop window (the obvious one!)
- It’s the first thing people look at when considering whether to engage with your products or services, we all know this…then why do most spend more money on their commercial cleaning, or office stationery, than they do on their website!!!
- It’s mega flexible
- Your website isn’t like other more traditional mediums like press, ads or TV based marketing, but it still gets bought that way. Whilst there is a certain amount of structure behind a website, the content, images, messaging, and goals can all be updated and changed very quickly and easily, and hopefully by you if you have a decent CMS and support package with your provider.
- It is more measurable than any other medium!
- Free tools, like Google Analytics, will provide you with enterprise level stats on all sorts of data from the number of users, to time on site, to the device they are using to access your site. You can set up a plethora of on-site metrics and measurements as well as creating dedicated landing pages for online and offline marketing campaigns to measure their success.
- It has the ability to test and improve
- Again using free tools within Google Analytics, you can set up and test page variations against each other (often descried as split testing or multi variate testing). You can’t do these types of incremental improvements so quickly or cheaply with any other platform!
Most people fall into a viscous cycle of designing a website, then re-visiting things in 2 or 3 years’ time, maybe changing developers because nothing has really happened with the existing website. But this approach means you are missing out on all of the major benefits this digital platform offers.
By developing a trusted relationship with an ROI focused web developer you could very easily transform something that you already have at your fingertips into a lean mean marketing machine!!!