We’re an established and growing digital agency situated in the heart of Cardiff Bay looking to add a new Laravel developer to our brilliant team.
(UK based – Location Flexible)
Whilst we are well known for our design skills and producing engaging commercial websites, we also spend a lot of our time building and maintaining bespoke online systems for some of the worlds biggest automotive brands including Hyundai and Triumph Motorcycles.
We are proud to have a well respected team of developers with expe rtise on both the PHP and .NET stacks and over 100 years of software experience combined! We would love to find the right person to join us as we line up a number of brand new big name clients.
We think that PHP is a great technology for rapidly developing exciting new online systems – especially when using the Laravel framework and the elegant design patterns that it brings. As a result, we are looking for someone with experience of the Laravel ecosystem.
What will you be doing:
As a PHP developer you will be working closely with a project manager to plan, craft and execute bespoke requirements from our clients. You will write clean, maintainable code and have a solid understanding of object oriented programming, MVC principles, version control workflows, and security implications.
- Bespoke development – you will be working for some international brands predominantly coding bespoke online systems as part of our development team.
- API integrations – we will look to you when projects require complex integrations with third party web services
- Team player – you will join a tight knit team of developers and will be expected to support colleagues and pitch in with CMS builds and client support tickets
The ideal candidate:
Whilst support is always available to help you develop and grow – you will be capable of finding robust and elegant solutions to novel problems without the supervision of a senior developer. You will also be able to step into another developer’s code and debug any issues that may be present in an effective manner.
- Experienced - you have real world experience of common development challenges and design patterns
- Problem solver – you choose the simplest solution to a problem first and then build from there as required
- Pragmatic – your coding decisions are based on real life experience and you find a good balance between abstraction, performance and maintainability
- Systematic – unphased by complex problems that arise – rigorous in testing your own code for a number of different implications
- Initiative – you are quick to learn new things and able to effectively find answers to any questions or problems that you come across
To perform this role well you will need the following essential skills:
- Experience building solutions within Laravel
- Solid grasp of OOP in order to write maintainable code
- MySQL knowledge and ability to write complex queries by hand
- Robust understanding of security implications (eg. SQLIA, XSS, CSRF)
- Server side templating languages (eg. Twig/Blade)
- Comfortable with both local and remote development in a LAMP environment
The following skills would be a big bonus:
- Ability to follow coding standards (PSR-2)
- Knowledge of GIT version control workflows
- Caching and queuing using Redis
- Exposure to working with OAuth and third party REST APIs
- Integration with payment gateways (eg. Sagepay/Braintree)
- Experience with an open source CMS
- Unit testing and TDD
Our culture – As a member of the Spindogs team we would expect:
- Team player – looking to make a positive difference to the office culture
- Fast learner – you love a challenge and don’t need to be told the same thing twice
- Strong work ethic – you go the extra mile to find new ways to constantly improve your output
Working in a role that you enjoy isn’t the only perk you’ll receive at Spindogs. Extra benefits you can expect include:
- A welcoming onboarding process. We know how strange it can be to start a new job, especially remotely. With our onboarding process, you’ll get the chance to meet the whole team and experience what it’s really like to work at Spindogs, even if it is from behind a screen.
- A chance to work at one of the largest full service digital agencies in Wales. With over 60 team members (and growing!) you’ll join a team of creative and inspiring individuals, all considered to be experts in their fields.
- A place to voice your opinion and make a difference. If you have ideas about how we can improve the way we operate, then we’re all ears! We’re always up for hearing new ideas, especially if they’ll improve the experiences of our staff and clients.
- A thriving culture to get involved in. Thanks to our dedicated ‘Culture Club’, we have regular socials to look forward to including virtual events, so it is inclusive of all at Spindogs no matter where they are in the UK, from after-work drinks, departmental lunches to Drag Queen Bingo!
- A supportive environment for development and growth. Whether an internal training course or an external qualification, we always encourage professional development and will support your progression..
- A flexible work-life balance. Times have changed and so have we. Whilst we have a fantastic office to work from, we also appreciate the freedom to work from home and flexible working options..
- A part in our profit share scheme. As a thank you for all your hard work, you’ll receive an annual bonus from our profit share scheme.
- A private health insurance package with generous rewards. We are partnered with Vitality Health which provides fast access to high-quality healthcare. It even covers a range of treatments that aren’t included under the NHS.
If we feel that you’d work well together with us, we’ll invite you in for an informal chat as soon as possible.
- 40 hours per week (Mon-Fri)
- Salary to be agreed based on experience
- Please no agencies – we would love to hear from the candidates themselves
Apply by filling out the contact form below